Friday, March 12, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - Last week (the last week, not last week...)

Well, it's getting down to the wire.  Hopefully I can start heading home today.  I'm back in Flagstaff, AZ.  I got here late Tuesday evening after a very slow and intermittently bone-jarring ride from Phoenix.  It turned much colder on the way up, and though it snowed overnight, it was melting in the morning.
I got my car in to Discount Tire late Wednesday morning, and guess what...  The hub centric rings I ordered and FedEx'd overnight are the wrong size.  Aaargh!  Oh well.  I wonder how many times have I said that out loud or to myself over the last seven weeks.  I searched and found the right ones (or at least they better be) and they'll be in by Thursday.

No point wasting time sitting around again, so since I was already here, I might as well at least set out for the Grand Canyon.  I figured another couple hundred km's (versus four thousand from here to home) is going to hurt.  So I head out of town, and of course, it the sun disappeared and it started to get a bit gray.  No biggie; it's still winter, so I stopped to get some gas - here's a shot of a big hill in front of the gas station as I pulled in:
Can you guess what this picture is?
Yup.  Same hill, one tank of gas later. 

Two blocks and two minutes later:
Ahh, what the heck.  It's only 65 miles up to the canyon, and I can't go above 80km/h anyway.

Fifteen minutes out of town, it's another world.
I found myself distracted by the scenery and ended up in the wrong place Thurdsay night, but it turned out to be the right place after all, consistent with everything else this trip.

There's too much to document right now, as I'm heading west today (boo, hoo, hoo...).  I have to get back to Discount Tire now to see if my car can go fast, so more later.  Lots more.

Sneak preview:

No comments:

Post a Comment