Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - Day 15/16


Thought it was a bit late in the day, I decided to go to Nawlins after all.  Getting there took a bit more than three hours, but I sat in traffic for another two.  I finally got to my hotel room and left to go exploring around 10 p.m.  It was near freezing, and everyone I spoke with seemed to think it was my fault, being from Canada and all.

After walking around for about an hour, I found myself in the French Quarter.  Not quite Mardi Gras, but it was very busy and the general mood was drunk.  Very drunk. 
I will have to remember to bring a costume next time.

Wandering up and down Bourbon Street, I thought I'd get a beer and a bite to eat.  Nope.  No cash, no wallet.  I wasn't ripped off; I left it all sitting on the bureau at the hotel when I changed my clothes.  Doh.

Oh well, it was interesting anyway.



Slept in a bit Sunday morning, then went back downtown to get some lunch.


Well. I thought it was busy last night.  Suddenly I'm surrounded by thousands of people, including hundreds of the ugliest women I've ever seen. Who dat? Oh wait - they're New Orleans Saints football fans dressed in drag. Most of them would look better after being dragged.

Oh, I get it.  The big game is next week.  I'm glad I won't be here. If the Saints lose, they'll tear the place up. If the Saints win, they'll tear the place up. I didn't say anything about not liking football, so I made it out alive. Oh - no lunch either. Not a single seat anywhere, and even if there was, the smoke, particular cigar, was almost unbearable.

 
The day disappeared quickly, so I headed off toward Baton Rouge, hoping for some gumbo or jambalaya.  Unfortunately, it was closed.  9:30 p.m. and nobody on the street (really - nobody), not a single open restaurant, nothing.  Hmmph. 

Maybe I can get some nachos in Natchez...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment