Saturday, February 27, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - February 27

I finally left Jackson, MS around 5 on Friday, but it took over five hours to get to New Orleans. It was too late to get an ffordable hotel, so I slept in the car. A bit chilly, but no biggie. This car is really comfortable. Of course, still no decent Internet access or even anywhere to sort and convert files, so no pics again, sorry. OK, here are a few, just so you know I'm still using my camera...



The gal in the doorway of the European Jazz Club is Kate; she's from Czech Republic, and puts a new spin on the concept of bouncer. The two getting prepped for fun on Bourbon Street preferred anonymity. The couple is Adrian and Camilla (pronounced like "Pamela" - she's from Iceland). They're very much in love (more mooney, lovey-dovey pics later). They came into the bar (Harry's) about 1:30 a.m., and Adrian bought the house (all five of us) a round of Jameson's and we all had some good laughs.

New Orleans is very different in the morning (really?). I walked around the French Quarter for another couple of hours, talking with people and snapping pics like this one:

I was going to stay over Saturday night, but the weather channel said it was going to rain, so I headed west mid-afternoon. And indeed, it started raining just outside of NO. And it rained, and rained and rained. It was supposed to be a band of rain travelling west to east, so I thought I would go to Avery Island to visit the Tobasco factory. By the time I got to the area, it was raining too hard to even think of getting off the highway. So, I ended up staying in Lafayette, LA for the night. I got a $200 room at the Hilton (for $46, thanks again to Capt. Kirk), but there was no Internet access - their network was down, and tech support was not available. I offered, but no go. So, I watched some TV and dozed off. I slept in (again); they finally kicked me out around 1:00.


Anyway, I'm heading for San Antonio, TX now, and just stopped in to McD's to check messages and log this (three hous later...). I will be staying in San Antonio for one night; two if the FedEx place accepts the shipment of car parts for me (it's against the rules, so I might be SOL). The car is good, but needs an alignment (hence the parts).

Otherwise, all is well.


No comments:

Post a Comment