Monday, February 8, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - Day 16 - 20

Ahhh... Mexico

After a little bit of hassle (very little, actually) with the car, I hopped on a plane for Guadalajara, and am now relaxing in Chapala.  Relaxing is a relative word; the folks I'm staying with don't stop.  Particularly eating.

I'm staying with Bob and Wendy.  Wendy is Chris Malleck's mom (Chris = "Junior" Malleck; harp player extraordinaire for Daddy Long Legs); Bob is Wendy's fiance.  They are two of the coolest, craziest, most welcoming and friendly people I've ever had the pleasure to know.  They live here in Mexico for six months of the year, in one of several small communities of other seniors (more about that bunch later) in the town of Chapala, just about a half-hour outside of Guadalajara.

Photos and posts for the next while will be somewhat scattered and out of order.

This past week has gone by in faaaasssttt forward.  It's very hard to get anything done when you're doing so much nothing.

When I got in late Tuesday evening, it was raining.  Wednesday it rained, and rained, and rained.  Apparently, it's been raining for days.  More rain than they've had in nearly 20 years.  Photo ops have been limited.


The sun broke through on Thursday morning, and man oh, man, is it beautiful here.  I'll be adding more pictures on a later post.  Now that the sun is out, my trigger finger is very busy, and I haven't been able to keep up.

Suffice it to say, for now anyway, I have a feeling that those of you who have visited Mexico but have only been to resorts or stick to tourist areas are missing out.  I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that they can compare to the local places I've been taken over the last few days.  Then again, I will find out.  We are leaving on a bus trip to Nuevo Vallarta in a few minutes, so I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment