Thursday, February 11, 2010

Road Trip 2010 - February 10-11

OK, I've lost track of which day it is.  Apparently it's Thursday, but I don't feel like figuring out which day number of the trip any more, so we'll go with the date.

Still in Nuevo Vallarta; we're leaving tomorrow.  I could stay here.  It would take me a few more days to get used to the heat, but I think I could handle it.

We took a bus into Puerta Vallarta yesterday morning.  That was indeed an experience.  The roads here have, in addition to potholes and other wear-related road hazards, thin but high speed bumps and these yellow things (I'll find out the name and get a picture) nailed into the pavement.  They're not exactly everywhere, but they are intended to keep traffic at a reasonable pace.  Cars seem to deal with them nicely, likely because the drivers are also the owners and have to fund the repairs, but the buses are another story.  I'm pretty sure we were doing 60-80km/h or even more whenever possible.  As we passed across those speed bumps, the bus, or at least the rear end became airborne.  And more than once.  Much more than once.  I was standing, so it wasn't that big a deal, but the folks that were sitting, particularly the ones at the back row were jolted out of their seats.

A fellow got on the bus with a guitar, and proceeded to serenade us.  He's playing at the Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday night, but sadly, we're leaving tomorrow (Friday). 

I have video; I'll upload it to YouTube when I get a better connection.

I do see why Puerta Vallarta is so popular, and it would be very interesting to live here, for a few months at least.  Of course it is very touristy, and the hotels and resorts are nothing like life even a block off the main drag, but it is quite the place.

My new friend Vince and I walked almost almost most of the way back (actually maybe a quarter of the way).  We took some back streets, walked along the beach, hit another resort for a few cervesas, and once we ran out of gas, took a taxi back to Samba Vallarta.

I met a fellow named Jesus here at the resort.  He is a local photographer, and works here at the resort and around the area.  He has been shooting couples and families, weddings, etc.  I don't want to compete with him, but I did have an idea.  I'm sure it would be relatively easy to set up one or two week tours, set up specifically for for photographers.  It could be based here at the resort, with day trips into the surrounding mountains and villages and into PV.  Having a guide with both camera skills and familiarity with the area, lighting, weather, etc. would provide a terrific opportunity for amateurs and pros alike.  There is such a variety of landscapes, ocean views, including whale watching, not to mention the small towns and villages nearby.  This resort would definitely need a better Internet connection, as well as some additional computer support and printing services, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to set up.

I have a lot of pictures to upload; I'm not sure if this blog can handle them.  I'll save the text for now and give it a shot (can't resist using that...)

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping Policemen, or at least that's what they call the speed bumps in Dominican Republic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefan,
    Thanks for keeping us up to date through prose and pictorials. For a while, I thought I was reading travels with John Steinbeck!!

    Your descriptions of Nuevo Vallharta and Puerto Vallharta released some nostalgia in me. My daughter got married on the beach there (near Bucerias-sp?) and we spent a week in the area. I marveled at that pink bridge built to connect the suites of Richard Burton and Liz Taylor while they were filming ("Night of the Iguana")there in the early 60s. It is another beautiful part of the world. Hope your car is running well now. Your images are fascinating! Bye, Tom

    ReplyDelete